In this, and this posts I talked about using internal blogs and wikis as a collaboration and project management tools, but still, not all people are welling to blog let’s not forget that it consumes time for writing a long blog and surely many others are not passionate about writing. Wikis are not conversational tools, and inside organizations their contents can be dealt with formally. IM massaging is not documented, it’s usually peer to peer and outside the browser.
This is why it’s very practical to have a social networking tool, to have an ongoing conversation which is easy for staff to involve in, post problems, solutions, ideas, socialise and network with each other. It also retain their talents and peer recognition, and sometimes, icrease their lifes!
However, as with any Enterprise 2.0 facility, adopting, using and sustaining it depends on the culture. You have to build your strategy depending on the current communication moods and norms, the social tools will just reflect what is there, and filter the best of it. Officeworks as our case example, can have the following points as a strategy for internal social network:
- It has to be used as a main medium for announcements, to guarantee the regular access to, especially new employees announcements, so they start their careers on a conversation with the other staff, and it will make it familiar to them
- Higher management usage for some conversations that can go internally public will make the staff more interested in accessing it
- Specify a “no email day” to use the social network only for internal communication, and it’s better to be a “happy” day like Friday 😉
- There are many tools that can be used, the tool is recommended to have the following characteristics:
- It has to be installed on an owned servers, not using the famous services like Facebook because they don’t control them
- Staff have to able to access it from anywhere on the internet. The social activities are usually moody, so, to flourish they shouldn’t restricted to work place.
- As a tool, it has to has a mobile app, or at least a mobile friendly website, because most of the workers are in the stores, physically moving
- It has to use the current users authentication and disable anonymous contributions
This post is dedicated to the internal use of social media only, for external usage, as marketing and resource building, you can check the following links from E2US team:
- Building Officeworks’ Organizational Resources via Social Network
- Social your target market- connect officeworks with targeted social network for marketing